A VISIT TO SHEIKH ZAYED GRAND MOSQUE

A VISIT TO SHEIKH ZAYED GRAND MOSQUE

After our amazing short trip in Dubai, it’s time to have a long drive back to Saudi Arabia. We decided to pay a quick visit to Abu Dhabi’s iconic landmark – the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. It’s one of the most grand yet elegant structures I’ve seen. The architecture and interior design created such beauty that would definitely last a lifetime.

sheikh zayed grand mosque abu dhabi

Visiting Hours

The mosque is open daily for visitors from 9am to 10pm except for Friday (worship day). Don’t worry if your only available time to visit is Friday. The mosque still opens for vistors but only from 4:30pm to 10pm.

During Ramadan, the mosque is open daily from 9am to 2pm except for Friday.

Last entry is 30 minutes before closing hour.

Cost

Entrance is free and the mosque is open for everyone no matter what your religion is. There are also free guided tours during certain hours. Make sure to visit their official website for updates.

Dress Code and Rules

A mosque is a sacred place for Muslims so make sure to dress modestly and conservatively. Make sure your hair and body is fully covered up to your wrist and ankle. You can borrow abaya for free at the entrance. If you’d like to flaunt your own fashion and style, don’t wear sheer and fit clothing so you’ll be able to pass through the strict entrance without any questions.

Important rules to keep in mind when inside are no public display of affection, no holding hands even for married couples, keep it quiet, avoid inappropriate posing, for short keep it candid, don’t lie on the floor and soak up the Arabian sun. Don’t be a Rihanna when in Sheikh Zayed Mosque.

Five Interesting Facts

1. Sheikh Zayed Mosque is the largest mosque in UAE.
  2. Natural materials mainly gold, crystals, semi precious stones and precious stones were used in the construction of the mosque. No wonder the flooring was cool even at noon. The temperature was around 42 degrees during our visit.
  3. Sheikh Zayed Mosque has the largest handmade carpet in the world and it is located in the main prayer hall.
  4. Once we entered the main prayer hall, it’s not the largest carpet that caught my attention nor the fact that the room was airconditioned (it was very hot during that day), but the huge chandelier that’s oozing with swarovski crystals! The seven chandeliers inside the mosque consist of millions of swarovski crystals and one of them is considered to be second largest chandelier in the world.
  5. The mosque is named after the founding father and first president of UAE.

sheikh zayed mosque the travelling mermaid

sheikh zayed mosque natural materials

sheikh zayed mosque largest carpet in the world

sheikh zayed mosque swarovski shandeliers

mother and daughter sheikh zayed mosque

abu dhabi selfie

sheikh zayed mosque pillars

girl in gray abaya sheikh zayed mosque

Just in case you’re wondering who took our lovely photos, it was my dad! πŸ˜€

Leave some love and let me know what you think at the comment box below. Happy Travels! xx

Pin for later!

abu dhabi sheikh zayed grand mosque tips and guide

Share:

18 Comments

1. October 5, 2017 / 3:28 am

Shk Zayed Grand Mosque is really a ‘must-see’ when in UAE. I can still remember the amazement I felt when I visited it a few years back.
    A very informative post & great clicks! πŸ‘πŸ‘

• October 5, 2017 / 4:12 am

It’s truly one of a kind. πŸ™‚ Thanks for dropping by! Really appreciate it, xo

2. October 14, 2017 / 10:53 am

Your photos are stunning! The mosque itself looks gorgeous and it’s very interesting that it is the largest mosque in the UAE. Thanks for the tips for visiting, I would have never thought holding hands would of been a problem so very good to know πŸ™‚

• October 14, 2017 / 11:06 am

Thank you so much! There are actually guards every corner watching the tourists. The place is really conservative.

3. October 14, 2017 / 1:01 pm

The interior of the mosque is beautiful. I love the pristine white and the contrasting gold decoration. Well done to your dad for awesome pics!

• October 14, 2017 / 2:57 pm

Thank you! <3 I'll try to bring him more often to my travels! πŸ™‚

4. October 14, 2017 / 2:28 pm

So much white and light everywhere-looks like a stunning place!

5. October 14, 2017 / 3:16 pm

You have really beautiful pictures! Keep writing similar articles. it is very useful.

6. October 15, 2017 / 9:04 am

This is high up on my list when I eventually get round to doing the UAE. You wrote this post so beautifully and I really want to get out there asap. I love the photos as well. πŸ™‚

• October 16, 2017 / 1:43 pm

Visiting this mosque is def a must in UAE. I’d choose this over Burj Khalifa. Thanks Danik! πŸ™‚

7. October 15, 2017 / 10:50 am

What gorgeous photos! I hadn’t heard of the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque before, so I’ll have to bookmark this for when we visit the UAE. I think being able to visit places of worship of all faiths is so important in helping understand and embrace other cultures.

• October 16, 2017 / 1:49 pm

I totally agree. That is so on point! I always try to visit temples when traveling around Asia and it always seem to be the most informative yet fun part of my travel. πŸ˜€

8. October 17, 2017 / 5:23 am

I had a chance to visit this earlier this year when I was in Sharjah! πŸ™ AND I missed it! The opulence of the place is soooo evident in your pictures! LOVE the architecture.
    “Don’t be a Rihanna when in Sheikh Zayed Mosque.” this cracked me up! Hehe. I have to visit UAE again and visit this place:)

9. October 17, 2017 / 8:24 am

Holy cow! What an absolutely beautiful mosque! You should hire your dad as your full time photographer πŸ˜‰ How amazing that it’s free to visit as well! That’s incredible, especially to have the free guide! Love it!

10. October 17, 2017 / 1:49 pm

Girl, your photos are gorgeous! I haven’t been here yet but I’m sure you did justice to this grandness of this place! I personally love intricate architecture so I’m definitely bookmarking this for when I make it to the UAE. xoxo from a fellow mermaid.

11. October 18, 2017 / 1:56 am

I seen some beautiful mosques through my travels like the Hassan ll Mosque in Casablanca and the Blue Mosque In
    Istanbul. But the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque with the white is really stunning. I will make a point of seeing it when I visit UAE…